Thanks to generous funding from the Ontario Trillium Foundation, we have created a
KAWARTHA LAKES SPORT AND RECREATION COUNCIL
to bring together leaders in sport and recreation to provide a collective union for the sector.
The official announcement and launch is Friday May 29, 2015 at 1pm at the Lindsay Recreation Complex
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND ACCESS TO RECREATION ARE IMPORTANT
TO THE HEALTH OF INDIVIDUALS IN A COMMUNITY.
WHY RECREATION MATTERS...
Research indicates that participation in quality recreation opportunities enables participants to:
• develop skills and competencies;
• be exposed to program leaders and positive role models;
• achieve better physical and emotional health;
• develop psychosocial skills;
• improve self-esteem, academic performance, peer and family relationships;
• acquire pro-social values and develop life skills such as leadership, decision-making and problem solving;
• form healthy habits that can be transferred into their adult lives;
• participate and take pride in their community; and most of all
• have fun, learn new skills, and be with friends.
The reality is that many families and their children are denied the opportunity to enjoy recreation activities that are vital to their health and personal development. Removing barriers to access, and creating the opportunities and conditions where all children can thrive is a shared responsibility.
(Adapted from the Canadian Parks and Recreation Association Everybody Gets to Play™ - Recreation Without Barriers A Position Paper- CPRA)
This website is an indication that community organizations in the City of Kawartha Lakes are committed to building partnerships at the local level to remove barriers and create opportunities for everyone to participate.